Project Manager Job Description
The Rhode Island Innovative Policy Lab (RIIPL) is a collaboration between expert researchers Brown University and the Office of the Governor aimed at using rigorous scientific research and big data to improve outcomes for individuals and families across Rhode Island. Our creative, energetic and diverse team includes economists, data scientists and policy analysts who work closely on projects developed with government partners and directed by leading faculty researchers. Our projects span policy areas: Closing the Achievement Gap, Social Policy Innovation, Criminal Justice, and Regulation that Works. Learn more at www.riipl.org/initiatives.
We are seeking a project manager who will play an important role on RIIPL’s policy team. The project manager will be responsible for managing one or more of RIIPL’s large-scale RCTs/field experiments, which blend best practices from economics, policy and data science to address RI’s pressing policy issues.
Project managers are responsible for coordinating research on their project with RIIPL staff, contributing to the design and evaluation of the policy intervention, working with policymakers and community stakeholders to implement the field experiment, communicating the details of the experiment to various stakeholders, and manage day-to-day implementation of the project. The project manager will be responsible for technical and non-technical writing for their project.
We are looking for someone with the following qualifications:
- 3-5 years experience in research project management; Master’s degree in economics, public policy, business administration or related fields is preferred
- Thorough understanding of the scientific process and technical research; ability to digest and interpret economic research papers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; effective communication of research interventions and scientific findings with policy makers and community organizers
- Ability to effectively manage projects, teams, and coordination with outside partners
- Ability to communicate effectively and form consensus in public forums with ideologically diverse audience members
- Outstanding organizational skills; highly attentive to detail and able to prioritize tasks between multiple projects
- Strategic, entrepreneurial approach to developing ideas and designing solutions
- Successfully engage with local NGO’s and community organizations during project development and implementation
- Assist with writing research and business sections of grant proposals, and manage grant reporting processes with assistance of RIIPL grant management team members
- Assist with writing policy briefs of technical projects for general audiences
- Ability to use and embrace task management and documentation software critical for organizing and documenting work in a scientific lab with research that impacts policy.
- Desire and ability to enforce subordinate’s compliance with task management and documentation software use protocols to ensure integrity and documentation of lab processes and communications with internal and external parties.
- Experience in Stata and SQL a plus
- Bilingual in Spanish is not required but helpful
This is a leadership role that will suit a person who is intellectually curious, high energy, has enthusiasm for science and policy innovation, and outstanding organizational and communication skills, who enjoys working with intense and highly skilled team of scientists, and who is willing to put in the level of work, energy and commitment needed to use science to create actual change. This is an opportunity to work with leading researchers and committed government partners in an energetic, innovative and collegial environment.
To apply, please do the following:
1. Complete the application at Brown University here.
2. Send a cover letter, CV, and transcripts (unofficial is acceptable) for all degrees to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line ‘PROJECT MANAGER APPLICATION’.
3. Fill out this form.
You must complete all three steps for your application to be considered. Thank you.