New Opening for Lead DevOps Engineer
The Rhode Island Innovative Policy Lab (RIIPL) at Brown University seeks a talented and motivated IT professional to collaborate with top researchers in economics to manage a cloud-based IT infrastructure for research with sensitive data. RIIPL is home to an exciting portfolio of projects that harness big data and cutting-edge scientific research to design smart public policies. The ideal candidate will have intellectual curiosity, high energy, enthusiasm for science and policy innovation, and outstanding organizational and communication skills. He/she enjoys working with an intense and highly skilled team of scientists, and is willing to put in the level of work, energy and commitment needed to use science to create actual change. This is an opportunity to work with leading researchers and committed government partners in an energetic, innovative and collegial environment.
The Lead DevOps Engineer’s primary role and focus will be to build and maintain a secure, cloud-hosted data analysis environment that hosts sensitive data from a wide range of government agencies and private firms. Additionally, the Lead DevOps Engineer will be responsible for developing policies and systems for managing access and monitoring use of the analysis environment by a lab of roughly 35 researchers as well as approved external partners. Although this position does not have direct reports at this time, the Lead DevOps Engineer will on a project basis manage the work of data scientists and data engineers in the lab, including through coordinating and participating in an on-call rotation for 24×7 support of IT infrastructure.
This is a two year fixed-term staff position, with the possibility of extension contingent upon available funding.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter , and official or unofficial transcript(s) to email@example.com with “Lead DevOps Engineer” in the subject line.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a technical field such as computer science or engineering.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in a IT, DevOps or similar role supporting production 24/7 IT services and participating in an on-call rotation.
- Strong scripting/coding, troubleshooting, and problem solving skills.
- Working knowledge of the following:
- Linux and Windows operating systems
- Tools for configuration management and automation (e.g. puppet, chef)
- Scripting languages (e.g. bash, python)
- Cloud services, infrastructure-as-a-service, and related APIs
- Databases and/or big data frameworks (e.g. Oracle, MongoDB, Hadoop/Hive)
- TCP/IP networking, and best practices for private networks
- Network attached storage
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Expertise with IT security, auditing and logging tools, high-performance computing, storage systems, and batch systems is preferred.
Rhode Island Innovative Policy Lab
The Rhode Island Innovative Policy Lab (RIIPL) at Brown University is a new collaboration between Brown University and the Office of the Governor in Rhode Island to develop evidence-based policy using data and state-of-the-art research. RIIPL is headed by a team of Brown economists, world renowned for their work on big data and smart policy design. This team will lead and accomplish scientific research which will help the governor and state agencies design policies with higher impact per dollar to better serve Rhode Island families and make Rhode Island a leader in policy innovation.
Brown University is an Ivy League university with a beautiful campus in the heart of downtown Providence, Rhode Island. Brown offers competitive benefits through a generous retirement plan, an employee education program, and a tuition aid program for employees’ dependents.
Providence boasts wonderful restaurants, plentiful farmers’ markets, a vibrant arts scene, easy access to beaches, and more. Kiplinger has named Providence the nation’s 3rd best city for commuters, and Providence has appeared on numerous Travel and Leisure lists, including being named number 1 on “America’s Favorite Cities 2014,” number 2 on “America’s Best Cities for Food Snobs” (March 2015), number 3 on “America’s Best Coffee Cities” (October 2014) and number 4 on “America’s Best Cities for Hipsters” (November 2013).
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory criminal background check and education verification.