New Opening for Associate Director of Data Science
The Rhode Island Innovative Policy Lab (RIIPL) at Brown University seeks a talented and motivated data scientist to collaborate with top researchers in economics and serve as an Associate Director for a team of 3-5 junior data scientists. RIIPL is home to an exciting portfolio of projects that harness big data and cutting-edge scientific research to design smart public policies. The ideal candidate will have intellectual curiosity, high energy, enthusiasm for science and policy innovation, and outstanding organizational and communication skills. He/she enjoys working with an intense and highly skilled team of scientists, and is willing to put in the level of work, energy and commitment needed to use science to create actual change. This is an opportunity to work with leading researchers and committed government partners in an energetic, innovative and collegial environment.
This is a two year fixed-term staff position, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance and available funding.
To apply, please submit a resume , cover letter , and official or unofficial transcript(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Associate Director of Data Science” in the subject line.
- Advanced degree and at least three years of experience in a data science or analytics position.
- Experience leading a team and mentoring junior team members.
- A track record of delivering data products or services, or conducting and publishing original research with big data.
- Expertise in all of the following areas:
- predictive modeling and machine learning;
- data mining, exploration and visualization;
- software engineering.
- Working knowledge of programming languages (e.g. R, Python, Stata), SQL and databases, version control systems (e.g. Git, SVN, Mercurial), and the Linux operating system.
- Experience with automated, reproducible analysis pipelines or with industry software engineering practices.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities and deadlines.
- An eagerness to take ownership of challenging and open-ended assignments.
- Effective at communicating with audiences whose technical backgrounds vary widely.
Rhode Island Innovative Policy Lab
The Rhode Island Innovative Policy Lab (RIIPL) at Brown University is a new collaboration between Brown University and the Office of the Governor in Rhode Island to develop evidence-based policy using data and state-of-the-art research. RIIPL is headed by a team of Brown economists, world renowned for their work on big data and smart policy design. This team will lead and accomplish scientific research which will help the governor and state agencies design policies with higher impact per dollar to better serve Rhode Island families and make Rhode Island a leader in policy innovation.
Brown University is an Ivy League university with a beautiful campus in the heart of downtown Providence, Rhode Island. Brown offers competitive benefits through a generous retirement plan, an employee education program, and a tuition aid program for employees’ dependents.
Providence boasts wonderful restaurants, plentiful farmers’ markets, a vibrant arts scene, easy access to beaches, and more. Kiplinger has named Providence the nation’s 3rd best city for commuters, and Providence has appeared on numerous Travel and Leisure lists, including being named number 1 on “America’s Favorite Cities 2014,” number 2 on “America’s Best Cities for Food Snobs” (March 2015), number 3 on “America’s Best Coffee Cities” (October 2014) and number 4 on “America’s Best Cities for Hipsters” (November 2013).
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory criminal background check and education verification.